Do you have some theoretical knowledge of data science, but no projects to show for it?
Data science is a very broad field. Learning data science involves learning many different technical skills such as SQL and data manipulation. It also involves learning more abstract subjects such as statistics and machine learning.
However, once you’ve learned all that, putting it to use on a real project can still feel confusing. You don’t know where to start. The blank page syndrome is real.
What project should I even do? How do I evaluate how good I’m doing? Where do I get the data from? Are common questions for people looking to start a project.
What if you could do a project with the help of an experienced professional?
What if you could start building your project portfolio today? If you had someone to guide you through the process? You could get started on a project and get a little help if you got stuck. And at the end, you could compare your work to that of a DS professional to see what you could’ve done differently.
After finishing the project you’d be sure you have the practical skills to do data science. Not just some theoretical knoledge. Additionally, you’d have created proof of your work to show potential employers and talk about in interviews.
Data Projects will help you cut through the noise and complexity and finally become the Data Scientist you know you should be.
Do a real-world Machine Learning project without feeling overwhelmed
Data Projects is the distillation of 5+ years of Data Science consulting experience into educational material. By completing Data Projects you will achieve 3 main goals:
- Consolidate your skills by working on a real-world project
- Build a project that shows your skills, and that will help future employers understand how you work
- Get a feel of what working as a data scientist can be like
And most importantly, Data Projects will keep you motivated and on the right track to finally mastering Data Science.
How does it work?
Right after you purchase a Data Project, you’ll get all the information you need to get started on a project. The project contains the following resources:
- Project description document, with the context and the project objectives.
- Project guide, a guide to help you complete the project without giving away all the answers. This document contains high-level advice about tools and methods that could be used to solve the project. The document doesn’t include the fine details on how to actually implement the solution, you can find that level of detail in the example solution folder.
- Data folder with the relevant data you can use for the project or instructions on how to get the data, depending on the project.
- Example solution folder, including fully commented code in R and Python (both plain python and a Jupyter notebook) and a presentation summarizing the results. Keep in mind that for many problems, there isn’t an exact solution and this is just one way to do things, other ways may work as well. All the analysis and figures in the presentation can be obtained using the included code.
What are these projects about?
The first Data Project available is: Movie box office revenue prediction.
In this project, you’ll train a model using lots of categorical variables, estimate its impact on the business and prepare a presentation summarizing your results.Buy project now
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I know before doing a Data Project?
You should at least be comfortable programming (reading csv files, manipulating data) and have basic supervised learning knowledge.
Can I put the project in my portfolio/github?
Yes, feel free to share your results after completing the project. I’ll appreciate it if you link to this page for others to know where to get the data and project resources. Additionally, you can add this project to your portfolio to showcase your skills to potential employers. I hope it’ll help you get hired. Finally, you shouldn’t share the data or any of the project files with others.
Where does the data come from?
Data for projects is freely available on the internet. However, it may not be easily accessible or already consolidated and formated. I have taken my time to prepare the dataset for use in this project so you don’t have to.
Do I need a big computer to do a project?
For the current projects, you don’t need very powerful computers. 4-8Gb of RAM should be enough and you don’t need any specific GPU (they don’t require deep learning).
How long will it take me to complete the project?
It can take you from 4 to 20 hours, depending on how efficient you are and how much time you want to spend on it.
What if I’m not happy with the content?
I built this product to help you. So if you’re not happy with it, or don’t feel like it was worth the price, I don’t want to keep your money. If you’re unhappy with the book for any reason, send me an email, and I’ll refund you ASAP.
Who am I?
I’m Oriol Cosp, a data scientist at Nextail. I’ve also been a data science consultant for more than 5 years. I first heard about data science and machine learning in 2013, and I’ve been captivated ever since. To me, data science is about understanding the world and quantifying the impact of actions.